Tuesday, April 15, 2008






View from the red bridge above Torohki Falls - also awesome!
















Hirauchi Onsen is a natural hot spring on Yakushima's southeastern coast. It was discovered 400 years ago by people and ever since has been enjoyed by locals and tourists from all over the world. I paid the ¥100 fee (about US $1.00) and enjoyed it for myself! It is beautiful. You can only utilyze this natural wonder twice a day - only at low and high tides. No cloths of any kind are permitted. You must be in your birthday suit! it is out in the wide open, and unlike most other Japanese hot springs, it is co-ed. Men and women are free to show off there goods together. Unfortunately for me, I have'nt got a hell of a lot to show! Still, that didn't stop me. I went and enjoyed the spring over pleasant conversation with 4 other blokes. It was a regular sausage party. Seriously wonderful though.






Just a bit up the road from the hot spring - still in the town of Hirauchi, I have found my camp for the night. It's a farmer's clearing in a forest with a clear cool running brook just down a hillside.










Dinner:
Boiled potatos from a roadside stand just back down the road a piece. Probably grown by the same farmer who owns this land!







Good morning! It's a fairly clear day today and the sun is peeking through!
Breakfast:
More potatos with ketchup and vegemite
!









Pasture land for cattle along the coast








Kuriohama (Kurio Beach). Prior to coming to Yakushima, I hadn't thought at all of beaches here. My mind was fixed only on mountain forests and BIG trees. However, Yakushima IS after all an island, and the beaches are beautiful!

1 comment:

The Crawfords said...

That vegemite will keep ya goin James.

Jon