Monday, April 14, 2008


Many beautiful tea plantations along this narrow quiet road, The Obasans (older ladies) are out weeding between the tea rows. Trimmed tea plantations have got to be one of the most lovely sights to see.







The sun is really breaking through now! It scatters about dancing softly in this dense ceder forest.










Vines cover large portions of the trees. Yakushima is classified as a subtropical zone. I classify Yakushima as Heaven on Earth!











Vibrant magenta azaleas glow in the post-rain sun, against a mountainscape. Between the cedar forest and here, I saw my first live snake of this trip! She had come out onto the asphalt road to warm herself in the sun after a cool rainy night. As I rapidly drew closer on Mr.Green, the beautifully patterned reptile retreated back into leaf litter along side the road. I got a very good look at her though. I can't identify my slithering friend yet without my field guide, but I know I've never seen this species before.

I'm out of words!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Love Schlitzey

Anonymous said...

こんばんは
ヤクシマか~いいなぁ~
わたしたちもいつかいきたいなーとおもっています。
またビルのげんきそうなかおがみれてよかったです。
たくさんたべて、げんきにたびをたのしんでね。 
          かよこ&みく

Anonymous said...

Bill,

Your adventures and experiences are unfolding wonderfully! Thanks so much for keeping the blog updated.... Let the good times roll!

Adam