Friday, April 18, 2008

Well, I made it to the Miyazaki ferry terminal much sooner than I thought I would. As it turns out, I was much closer than I thought I was to the port when stopping to set up camp last night. I was only 20 miles (32 kilometers) away and it was almost completely down-hill riding.
When I arrived at the terminal there was'nt another soul around. I had Mr.Green up against a wall and was fiddling around at the bike, getting something out of a side pannier. When I turned around, I was startled to see two men smoking cigarettes immediately behind me. The older of the two asked me in English "Where are you from?". I told him I was from America but have been living in Wakayama. He just gave a quick nod and got into a car which drove off speedily. I deduced that the man's only motivation behind the inquery was to practice possibly the only English he knew, or was confident enough to use.
The other smoker walked inside the terminal after having finished his cigarette. I returned once again to whatever it was that I had been doing at my bicycle. Moments later, the man returned again. He handed me a small rectangular box. Though I immediately reccognized the small package, in my best attempt at sounding polite and moreover humble, I asked "Kore wa nan desuka?". The man just looked at me with a content smile and said "Nonde kudasai!" (Please,just drink it). In the little box is what I call a "genki drink". There are a multitude of them on the market which can be seen on their own designated display racks in any of the 5 billion convenience stores throughout Japan. They are basically concentrated caffein drinks in small glass bottles baring medical looking labels of gold, silver, and other official colors. These little drinks are popular among those with night-before hangovers o
r the exhausted who need to get through a long work day, or drive a distance. I thanked the friendly-faced man and as he got into the driver seat of the car where his daughter waited for him, he exclaimed "Mata ne!" (See you again). It was if somehow the man knew that I was nearing the end of my journey and this was his way of saying "Otsukare sama!" (Job well done!). I was moved to a great big grin which wouldn't be denied. The moment in time was perfect. I'll never forget it, or the friendly man whose face reminded me of Tom Jones.

No comments: