Tuesday, July 29, 2008

This is Janie. That's not her real name, it's an English name similar but easier to pronounce than her Chinese name. She is from Taiwan. Janie looks about 15 or 16 but is actually 22! Her and a few friends came to Japan 6 days ago for a holiday. They were supposed to have left on a plane the day before, but missed it because of confusion with trains going to the airport. They were though lucky enough to find another flight the next day without any extra charge. Unfortunately this meant a night in the airport for Janie and her friends. They slept on waiting seats and lived off convenience store food. It certainly isn't the end of the world, but I'm sure they would have preferred a home cooked meal and a good nights rest in their own bed. Janie made the best of it though. I met her when she solicited me outside the Lawson Convenience Store as I was walking to my baggage. "Excuse me sir, can I have the little stickers from all of your things?" she begged! In Japan there are many many shops which offer small tacky gift rewards in turn for "points". These points are sometimes in the form of seals, but may also be punched cards or other gimmicks. I had no intention of using the little round stickers on my products for anything. To tell the truth, I wasn't even aware that there were any stickers! "Okay!" I said. Janie pulled seals from my drink and eclair while I battled to remove the one on my chicken lunch. I was very hungry at this point and found this situation to be just a little bit of an obstacle. However I obliged and Janie was beaming over her score. I went and sat down next to a bank. While I ate, Janie continued pleading for seals from every costumer to exit the store. After a while I saw her come running over to her friend waving a paper covered in these multicolored stickers. Then she strutted into Lawson and quickly returned proudly holding a Miffy Bunny Bag. I gobbled down the chicken and rice and about halfway through the chocolate eclair, Janie came hopping over and bounced into the seat next to me. Her energy was contagious. She spoke hardly any Japanese, but pretty good English. We chatted away about her trip, my trip, and all sorts of other small talk topics. Then my mother in law showed up and I introduced Janie. Atsuko was to arrive from Tokyo anytime now, so my mother in law, Janie, and I made our way over to the arrival gate. Janie was eager to meet "my wife", ATSUKO! Momentarily Atsuko came walking through the gate at which time I introduced Janie to her. Finally we said goodbye to the friendly little Taiwanese girl and headed for the parking lot. I was happy to have met Janie. Good luck Janie! May your dream of being a tour guide come true! You'll be a great tour guide for sure.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, Bill
I am JENNY. I am glad to read the article about me from you.
This is my blog
www.wretch.cc/blog/cancer6972
but I usually write in chinese.
from now on, I will try to write in English. ha ha ~
I don't write my feedback for my trip in Japan,please looking for forward.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Jenny!

You are such a cheerful, possitive person. I was very glad to meet you at the end of my journey!

I look forward to seeing your blog too!!

Love
Your friend
Wild Bill